Humans And Machines:
We human beings are the most sophisticated living gadget on this mother earth, We are the most powerful intellectual machine which has it’s own intelligence to make decisions, our intellect made sure we ruled over all other living creatures on this planet. We learned to acquire all the skills which was necessary for our survival but once our survival process was ensured we started to explore more, our infinite intelligence which knows no boundaries wanted more. We started to invent tools which will help us save time for ourself and ensure more safety and security, gradually we ventured to invent machines which can be an extension to our intellectual brain and memorise more information and multitask for us .
The very first computing machine called Turing-Complete was invented by Charles Babbage in 1833, since then computer machine has transformed from Analog era to Digital Era.
AI Origin :
The concept of AI was introduced by John McCarthy together with Marvin Minsky, Allen Newell and Herbert A. Simon. McCarthy coined the term “artificial intelligence” in 1955, and organized the famous Dartmouth Conference in Summer 1956. This conference started AI as a field.
Why Artificial Intelligence :
The very basic questions which needs to be addressed here before we jump on to the definition of Artificial Intelligence is Why Artifical intelligene ? whenwe human being has got this supremely powerful computing brain. Why the virtual intelligence is required even at first place when we have the intellect of our own. Well it all coin downs to one word “Decision Making”, it was conceptualised because we human being felt that we can’t be present every where and can’t take decisions remotely without being present at that place which became necessary specially after Industrial revolutions and now it has became a necessity after digital revolutions where information are being generated in trillions of bytes.To process this information and to reach to some virtual conclusion we needed that computer machine to think and perform like human brains and so the Artificial intelligence was founded as an academic discipline in 1956, and in the years since has experienced several waves of optimism,followed by disappointment and the loss of funding (known as an “AI winter”), followed by new approaches, success and renewed funding. For most of its history, AI research has been divided into subfields that often fail to communicate with each other.However, in the early 21st century statistical approaches to machine learning became successful enough to eclipse all other tools, approaches, problems and schools of thought.
What is Artificial Intelligence :
AI is a the theory and development of computer systems able to perform tasks normally requiring human intelligence, such as visual perception, speech recognition, decision-making, and translation between languages.
We want our machine to think like human, giving them the intelligence of their own by feeding them lots of information simulating the environment similar to our real world, given the fact that they can process huge information in splits of a second. This entire AI computing is to facilitate humans to perform their task with more efficiency where they get an opportunity to become extremely comfortable (for me it’s lazy) and rely on machine to make decisions on their behalf .
AI Application :
AI Research is majorly focussed in developing intelligent programs which can simulate human intelligence in the field of
- Problem Solving
- Natural Language Processing(NLP)
- Perception Building
- Ability to move & manipulate objects
Types of Artificial Intelligence :
There are basically 4 types of AI
Weak AI (narrow AI) – non-sentient machine intelligence, typically focused on a narrow task (narrow AI)
Strong AI– (hypothetical) sentient machine (with consciousness and mind).
Artificiall General Intelligence (AGI) – (hypothetical) machine with the ability to apply intelligence to any problem, rather than just one specific problem, typically meaning “at least as smart as a typical human”.
Superintelligence – (hypothetical) artificial intelligence far surpassing that of the brightest and most gifted human minds.
Some Of The Popular AI Development Tools Are :
Mostly there are opensource Developer tools which has been built by aspiring opensource community and some of the notable opensource tools being utilised in Artificial Inteligence to make our machine have their own brains are
- OpenAir : OpenAIR is a message routing and communication protocol for AI systems that has been gaining in popularity in recent years (2006)
- OpenCog : It is a project that aims to build an open source AI framework. OpenCog Prime is an architecture for robot and virtual embodied cognition that defines a set of interacting components designed to give rise to human-equivalent AGI as an emergent phenomenon of the whole system.
- OpenIRIS : OpenIRIS is the open source version of IRIS, a semantic that enables users to create a “personal map” across their office-related information objects. The name IRIS is an acronym for “Integrate. Relate. Infer. Share.”. It was built as part of CALO project, a very large AI funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) under its Personalized Assistant that Learns program.
4. RapidMiner : It is a platform of a Data Science awhich came into ezistenve in 2006 and has mainly be used for business and commercial applications as well as for research, education, training, rapid prototyping, and application development and supports all steps of the machine learning process including data preparation, results visualisation, model validation and optimization
We human being has the greater responsibilities for building an intelligent machines which will not replace us or snatch our jobs but help us become more efficient and Intelligent human being ourselves. We don’t need to fear the machines as they are just a piece of hardware and can’t have the Intelligence until we assist and collaborate with them to work responsibly.
Whats Next : In continuation to this AI series we will deeply cover each tool which are largely being used to help us build this super Intelligent machines and also cover Deep Learning which is the most futuristics and advanced Machine Learnig techique.
To be Continued…..