WAN has been the norms for many large scale businesses who have thousands of workforce working from different locations, which made enterprises to have seamless networking which can help them communicate & transmit information and data swiftly, but with time these WAN networks are becoming obsolete and failing to perform eficiently becuase of huge speed and bandwidth demand in the current market dynamics. So now traditional WAN is being replaced by Software Driven WAN.
Let’s get straight into the defination of SD-WAN:
It is a telecommunications network or computer network that extends over a large geographical distance/place. Wide area networks are often established with leased telecommunication circuits.
SD-WAN is a new age WAN which is transforming the concpet of Business networking making corporate offices global presence more effective and cost efficient.
Introduction To SD-WAN:
The software-defined wide-area network (SD-WAN or SDWAN) is a specific application of software-defined networking (SDN) technology applied to WAN connections, which are used to connect enterprise networks — including branch offices and data centers — over large geographic distances.
An SD-WAN simplifies the management and operation of a WAN by decoupling (separating) the networking hardware from its control mechanism. This concept is similar to how software-defined networking implements virtualization technology to improve data center management and operation.
Charcteristics OF SD-WAN:
Gartner has defined an SD-WAN as having four required characteristics:
- The ability to support multiple connection types, such as MPLS, frame relay and higher speed LTE wireless communications
- The ability to do dynamic path selection, for load sharing and resiliency purposes
- A simple interface that is easy to configure and manage
- The ability to support VPNs, and third party services such as WAN optimization controllers, firewalls and web gateways
What & Why Of SD-WAN ?
As our aspirations soared high we humans started to innovate and create new tools and technology to make our life super easy and effiicient . This process of evolution applies with everything on this earth. Technology always evolves to new phase due to some limitation with the exisiting one, on the same note there were some limitation with existing WAN model of networking which led to the evlution of SD-WAN. Let me put out some of the prominent reason this software powred WAN has came into existence and is becoming widely popular in networking arena.
- Improved application performance and quality of service for remote and branch workers
- Reduced WAN costs and scaled capacity through the use of lower-priced broadband and mobile connections
- Increased flexibility to prioritize business-critical applications over other network traffic
- Improved business continuity and disaster recovery capabilities that maintain connectivity even during multiple network failures
- Increased connection security across the WAN as applications and data migrate to the cloud
- Reduced branch networking complexity by consolidating services into an integrated WAN edge appliance and centralizing management and policy definition
How SD-WAN Works ?
Modern day ERP solutions are mostly working on cloud architetcture and are doing loads of heavy data lifiting. Business critical applications like VoIP, ERP & CRM , Media streaming solutions which consumes high network bandwidth, needs strong relaibility and QoS. If these apps goes down due to any server side glitches it costs to the enterprises in terms of productivity and revenue. Traditional WAN has their own limitation in terms of bandwidth and cost also it is not well suited to changing runtime demands of the business centric applications
SD-WAN is a hybrid WAN architecture that integrates multiple MPLS, mobile, and broadband paths together to provide a single, logical, virtualized path that can dynamically adapt to network conditions. It also facilitates app prioritization to allow most relevant app to perform at their peak. SD-WAN optimize WAN to addresses evolving application and branch infrastructure requirements.
With mobility transforming the life of the masses and generating data at such a massive scale, there is an ever increasing demand of optimized Software Driven Networks to support these business critical applications. As these apps are the window for Enterprises to engage with their customers globally. There is also a need to minimize the infrastructure cost for businesses to adopt to these rapid changing market demands.
SD-WAN will soon be the norms for the large scale enterprises who are serving their customers all around the globe and have offices to maintain and manage their data.
Let me close this piece of artcicle with this amazing compilation pertaining to SD-WAN by paradyn.ie